Stay connected. Sign up for the Rubin Museum’s monthly newsletter to receive updates about upcoming exhibitions, programs, digital features, and more.Subscribe
In the Yoga Tantras, practitioners are initiated into one of five Buddha families, which together form a mandala. Each family has a name, buddha, color, direction, and symbolic attribute:
- Buddha family, Vairocana, white, center, wheel
- Karma family, Amoghasiddhi, green, north, crossed vajra or sword
- Lotus family, Amitabha, red, west, lotus
- Jewel family, Ratnasambhava, yellow, south, jewel
- Vajra family, Akshobhya, blue, east, vajra
Each of the five directional buddhas also represents a specific wisdom quality, which overcomes a corresponding mental affliction.